11-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #52
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggz View Post
Hi Lucid, thanks for the review, I've also purchased the XP8 Carbotech. According to the ctbrakes website, as our rotos have been used with the stock brake pads, they should be resurfaced (turned) prior to installing the XP8s. Did you do this? If so what's involved in resurfacing rotos? I've got no experience with this.

Thanks again.
Putting them on was not an issue. The rep I spoke with on the phone said I could use a sander to remove the stock pad material from the disc surface if I wanted, but since the XP8 material is more aggressive, it would strip the stock pad material off. He was right, but it did take about 5-7 minutes of hard driving on the track. (I am going for more aggresive compound next time.)

The problem has been putting the stock pads back. I kept the XP8s for about 3 weeks on the car without any issues (no vibration or lack of cold grip), and ended up eating through the fronts after about 5 track hours. Completely gone. I put the stock pads back on, and now there is vibration when braking. I was hoping it would go away with time, but it's been almost 7 weeks. Probably has to do with the pad material deposited on the discs not matching the material on the current pads. Annoying...