View Single Post
      01-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #25
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Very interesting analysis about the effects of installing lowering springs.

I have a suggestion that will give your theory a little more factual 'weight'...

Your calculations should factor in the progressive spring rate of every aftermarket lowering spring on the market.

The current crop of lowering spring for the M3 will all have different progressive spring rates, so they will all behave a little different with the OE shocks and struts.

From my perspective, Dinan and Eibach got it right...and everyone else got it wrong.
I agree. Its a good starting point but there are so many other variables that need to be included to make a solid argument.

I was a little confused with the numbers though. If total available compression is 2.875" but the bump stop is 2.375", then compression prior to contacting the bump stop is 0.5". So with a 1" drop you're already compressing the bump stop 0.5". Now you said that at 1" the bump stop will act like "rock bottom" although according to your graph, it looks like the non-linearity of the bump stop is closer to 20mm which is more like 0.75". Anyway, if we go with the 1" number and we're already at 0.5" compression, we only have 0.5" left and not 0.875" per your calculations. If we go with the 0.75" rock bottom number, we actually would only have 0.25" left right?