10-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #38
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I think it is a combination of heat cycling hardening the compound & lack of tread depth that does not allow any tread squirm which helps to create heat in the tire.When I have run in the PS2's in the past in the wet the tires have been steaming when I came in after a session and were drying because of heat buildup in the wet.Not this time!I even tried to build heat in them
Sure, in the wet, lack of tread depth will definitely result in drastic loss of grip, so no surprises there. The discussion so far has focused on dry grip.

Also, the Skip Barber manual claims that if you push a street tire with more than 5/32" tread hard on a track, you will weaken the bond between the tread and the tire body. So, if you have done that earlier (and I think you have based on your previous reports?), and if what they are saying is true, your tires had most likely already lost grip before you got to the bars.

Yes, tread squirm increases tire temps, which is normally not good for a street tire as it will overheat quickly, but when you run in the cold and on a wet track, that might actually indeed help.

Nice drift!