View Single Post
      12-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #61
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i guess you just skipped the last part of my sentence. i will copy and paste it here so you can read it. see below. i see even after stating that people will still get offended and take it the wrong way.

" note i said not all merc owners so the ones that are not like that i wasn't reffering to you and there are plenty of bmw owners who are the same way"
Sure, you put a "disclaimer" at the end, but you had a point and that point was you think that MB owners are not quite the enthusiasts as are BMW owners. And that BMW owners in general are more into cars. Otherwise, you would have never said it. Simple as that. Hey, I've never heard a Porsche or Ferrari owner say that BMW or MB owners are not really enthusiasts.

The implication is simply that if you don't own a BMW, then you probably aren't really into cars. Sorry, but the intent is pretty clear.

Now, if you were to take all the millions of MBs sold throughout the world, then yes, of course there are few enthusiasts within those millions. And the same can be said of BMW and other brands. There are hundreds of thousands of owners of 7ers, 6ers, 5ers, Xers, etc., who are not "car enthusiasts" whatsoever.

But taking M and AMG owners together as a group, they are equally enthusiastic, intelligent, and well-informed about cars and motorsports.

The irony is that MB/Daimler has a much longer and bigger history of automobile building and motorsports than BMW. Remember Auto Union and the Silver Arrow era? And today's DTM and F1. (MB even bought Brawn this year, and BMW dropped out altogether.)

Both MB and BMW carry an owner stereotype, right or wrong. But both brands also have a large contingent of owners who are definitely automobile enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0