View Single Post
      01-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #27
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

This is not uncommon and pretty normal. Even the other pic posted in this thread claiming there is no damage one can see a slight bubble forming on the inside of the valve cover.

The finish is bubbling due to heat. It may have been a poor application but IMO I wouldn't really worry about it other than the aesthetic quality.

I have owned 2 e9x cars that both had bubbling on the valve covers. The dealer ( 2 of them) dismissed it as normal also.

The inside of the valve cover also may show some slight flaking that shouldn't be an issue.

The discoloration is due to BMW mandated oil changes so over time you get that yellowing effect. I would be more cocerned with the color of the metal parts inside. This is a clear indicator on whether or not the car had reg oil changes an so on.

Again, this is not coolant in oil, or bad parts as the misinformed posters here think. It's just a sh1tty finish bubbling off due to heat cycling. Mention it to your dealer if under warranty, but I would be surprised if they'd be willing to take the car apart to replace the valvecovers for the paint work alone.
Appreciate 0