Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Autologic will have this working very soon within their tooling, i know they are working on this now. Remote coding is dangerous in many respects in my opinion.
It's very risky as there are many variables that can lead to a bricked FRM module. Most common would be the use of a non-regulated power supply as a voltage spike can cause coding failures. We use a Autologic-approved Fronius Activa Power supply ($1500), SnapOn offers a lower featured unit in the ~$800 range.

Other possibilities:

- Voltage spike from power source
- Wifi Connection drops on host computer
- Computer/Laptop crashes during updating

The list goes on. If a mistake is made (whether or not is is one's fault) the module can be "bricked" - it will likely not be saved or brought back to life via remote coding, making for an interesting conversation with your SA as to why BMW should be covering the bill.

Bringing your vehicle to a qualified programmer to autologic approved facility that has received proper training ensures that the technician knows how to account if any of these things should occur, making sure your BMW is in safe hands.

Tools are only as good as the person (with proper training/experience) using them.

I'm working on FRM2 coding at this time, Andrew - as discussed on the phone yesterday, I'll keep you updated.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0