View Single Post
      05-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #42
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Yes, I've read that but forgot the reason why. I do not floor it, I drop gears and start in the optimal gear when going WOT, so no problem there and no change in driving style needed on my part. However, on occasions, once I've selected the proper gear and go WOT, I swhitch to D mode to let the transmission shift for me. I believe that would not be a problem, right? Thanks for the info.

Yep you got it! Shouldn't have a problem with that at all. You'll know if something bad is happening - the delay/slip is very easy to feel and pretty easy to trigger a DCT overheat error. From what I hear the DCT isn't actually overheating, it is just confused. The clutch slip can't be good for longevity though.

I will test out your method and see how it goes for me. It is theoretically the best way to get optimal times, etc.

I honestly used to drive my 08 M3 in auto mode more than manual. I'm really happy this supercharger helped change that. I was an idiot - now I find myself using paddles on any regular auto too. Much more fun!

BMW135er,
For this particular issue the shift logic setting really doesn't help. Just don't leave the car in auto in 3rd gear+ and go WOT. GIDrivers method seems to work fine.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0