View Single Post
      10-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

All variables aside, below is my recommendation based on the material I have studied for the CFP:

Maintain the 10K bonus in your company stock if you're confident the rate of return will be consistent with historical averages and will be hedged or protected in a way from the upcoming fiscal cliff. You didn't list the price per share of the stock, but at a $3 average annual gain, I can assume the rate or return is fairly above 5% unless the share price is way in the triple digits. With that being said, with top tier credit, you should be able to acquire a car loan at under 2% considering the new rounds of QE from the Fed, thus keeping the fed funds rate and all consumers interests rate at historical lows until 2015. ONLY IF YOUR COMPANY STOCK YIELDS LESS THAN THE INTEREST RATE YOU GET ON YOUR LOAN SHOULD YOU THROW THE BONUS AT THE TRADE IN.

*Some food for thought:

PROS - Will your company be acquired any time in the near future by a major publicly traded firm in the same industry? If so, your stocks profits will multiply in your favor.

CONS - Is the US Government a major customer of your company's products? If so, with sequestration and the uncertainty with the fiscal cliff, throwing the bonus at the trade in may provide peace of mind if you plan on buying before January, 2013.

* I personally would always put a nice bonus of that size in a tax deferred 401K or even better, a ROTH vehicle if that's available to you.
Appreciate 0