04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #65
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Of course.

On the other hand, your assumptions are off base.

The current E63 wagon weighs 4510 pounds (according to Motor Trend), and it is EPA rated at 15/23, losing 1 mpg to the sedan on both fronts. At a guess, the AWD 2014 sedan will come in at about the same mileage as the current wagon because of AWD, although it'll weigh 100-150 pounds less.

Both mileage numbers are pretty respectable especially if compared to the current M3.

The car costs more than an M3, but so what? It's a luxury sedan that just happens to go like a striped ape. You know. Power ash trays, quiet as a tomb at cruise, then all hell breaks loose when you punch it, and your eyeballs shorten up by a diopter or two.

So, fuel costs are down, insurance will be up due to MSRP differences, maintenance no different from other Benzes. What's the beef?

According to Car & Driver, the vehicle also just happens to be a sharper handler than the M5, although I must say I have high hopes for the new competition package about to become available on the Bimmer.

Bruce
I think you missed my point. I meant why buy any M or AMG sedan compared the more entry level 5 series or E class, not compared to the older AMG E class. You can get the same luxury interior while saving a lot of money. My point is why does anyone need 500-600 hp just to drive to the store and buy groceries? Even race cars don't come with that much power. For a road car, 300-400 hp is really all you need. Anymore than that is overkill.
Appreciate 0