View Single Post
      11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #87
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Forget about practical. That is not my point. Even as a toy, the M3 is far more usable than an exotic would be. It provides 90% of the pleasure with only 10% of the pain. There is just such a huge diminishing value to getting that last 10% of "exoticness".

What's the benefit of a $10k watch if you never actually wear it because you are afraid of every little scratch. On the other hand, you could get a $1k watch (still not cheap, but not over-the-top, much like an M3) and wear it much more often.
Sorry but I don't think an M3 provides 90% the driving experience of an exotic such as a 458. It's not "90-95% of what the exotics are in terms of exclusivity, style, and pure performance." That's fan boy talk at it's best. No way. I have driven one as well as several other exotics and there is no comparison. This is really apples and oranges. Let's face it, if a true car enthusiast can really afford an exotic (especially a brand new one) then they would add one to their stable in addition to other cars such as an M3, SUV, etc. Why? Because they can and because it's something they enjoy...same with any high end watch. Even if it's only driven occasionally, it's worth it. No offense, but in my experience most anesthesiologists and physicians in general cannot "afford" an exotic, esp. a new one, unless they are living beyond their means, retired, or doing something on the side. To really "afford" these cars without having to worry about maintanance or depreciation you probably need to be comfortably pulling in well over a million, excluding any major expenses/debts.

So to answer your question, if you can really afford an exotic then fantasy isn't better than reality.

Last edited by Aro1; 11-18-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0