View Single Post
      04-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #68
aj@fluid
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
what for? that X5 is a joke. It won't do shit off road unless the owner installed 4-wheel drive (not AWD, but 4WD) with a low-range transfer case at a minimum. Doubt they did that though as it would cost an arm and a leg for the custom fabrication that would have to be done.

It's probably just a suspension lift, mud tires and a snorkel (which is laughable, btw, since I'm sure the electronics aren't properly waterproofed and the differentials probably have breathers that would allow water in).

it's a nice looking "SAV" though.
What for? Because everything behind this X5 is anything but "a joke." No it does not have all the electronics sealed and a different transfer case. Why? Because we hadn't gotten that far yet. It is not a matter of us not wanting to pay someone to fabricate the upgrades. You see, every inch of this vehicle has been fabricated...by us. The lift kit...designed and fabricated by us. The front bumper...designed and fabricated by us. The roof rack and tire mount...designed and fabricated by us. The snorkel...designed and fabricated by us. The complete exhaust system...designed and fabricated by us. The blacked out interior...done by us. Tune...us.

You are correct...it would have problems actually being totally submerged in water...but thats not what we built it for. We are not a competitive off road company. In fact this is the first vehicle we have actually gone skyward with instead of south. We built it to show what we are capable of doing and to get our company attention. We built it because, we as a company, do things to vehicles that are not considered the norm. Thus the reason you will not find ANY of the upgrades on our X5 on any shelves of any stores on the planet. All four of the vehicles we drove nearly 2000 miles from Chicago to Vegas for the show follow the same motive. If you could have ridden with me down the Vegas strip and witnessed the mob it drew you would have realized we accomplished our goal.

But seeing as you are a fellow Chicago local I trust you won't just take my word for it. Our facility is just outside the city and you are more than welcome to come check out what we do in person. It would be my pleasure to give you or anyone else a tour...hell, if you give us a visit and still aren't convinced we're about as far from a joke as you can get I'll buy you lunch. Check our site out at www.fluidmotorunion.com and feel free to shoot us any questions about any build we ever do.

Its hard to be mad at a fellow BMW fanatic...and with all the bolt on parts and shelf bought upgrades seen at shows it is completely understandable why someone would come to some or your conclusions. But I'm not a guy that likes grudges...too tired after a 32 hour drive home for that. I'd rather you check us out in person...I'm sure we'd get along like peas and carrots.

Last edited by aj@fluid; 04-28-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0