05-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #48
3M3
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
BTW, the ringtaxi (M5 E60) also runs with stock brakes.
They do roundabout 300 km on the Nordschleife each day, with 4 adults in the heavy E60, an do not experience any problems with the stock brakes.
It really seems to be a matter of the correct breaking technique, like Eau Rouge already stated.
I believe they change the standard pads for somewhat higher rated track pads. Can you imagine the dust from the standard pads? And these pads need to be changed after every 10 or 15 laps IIRC. I will confirm this in July.

I had a 'Ring Taxi ride with Philipp as taxi driver in Oct 7, 2008. His driving skills were not shown to their best advantage because there was intermittent rain, a couple of accidents, and my buddy in the back seat was squeamish. It was a slow and steady 10m30s. A waste of 185 Euros, back when Euros were worth something.

I have also seen Philipp at almost every one of the 6 Nordschleife driver training sessions I attended in 2008 and 2009. He was instructing groups of Minis, 330i's, 123d's, and M3's. He is a very talented driver as well as a super nice guy.

I'm sure I will be seeing him 3 more times this year at the Nordschleife. Hopefully I will be able to comment on his instructing skills after this year.
Appreciate 0