10-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
WOW..... I am speachless guys....

GREAT advice from all of you. I think I will even print out this thread and use it as a guide along with the mini-guide that came up with the kit

What type of lense I need in order to take pictures that re focused in the middle and blurry arround the main object?
Shooting distance from 10 inches to 18 feet.

Or do I need to adjust any settings
It all comes down to depth of field and how big the object might be. It's easiest with something that has at least an f/2.8 or faster, say 1.4. or 1.8. For a flower, you'll need to be close, around the 10 inch mark as you said, to keep the depth of field close to the depth of the whole flower. As you move away from the flower, the total depth of field for that f/stop will increase. Check this site out - http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html - it's cool to play with, and will give you a good feeling of what you can do. The near limit is the closest distance to the camera that will be in focus, the far limit is the furthest distance from the camera that will be in focus, and the subject distance is the distance of the spot on which you are focusing to the camera.

It also helps if you have a telephoto lens that is around f/2.8. I have a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8, and the results are stunning. You'll want a tripod for something like that, and you have to back off a ways, but it's a cool effect.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0