View Single Post
      10-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

"If the 335 did not exist" - alternatives

I figure there are threads out there already, but I got nada when searching (kinda limiting with the serach length requirements, etc) so my apologies if I'm dead-horsing this. Also, if this needs to go OT, then that's fine.

Anyway, say the 335 did not exist, but you had the same money ($45k-$50k) and timeline that you had when you purchased your car...what would you have considered or purchased? Likewise, if you are pissed at your car right now (lag...cough cough lag...cough), what might you consider as an alternative if switching? I swear, I am coming up with basically zero good choices when running them through my head.

G37 - not the end of the world but raspy unrefinement and cheapy bits aren't appealing. I also hate my local Infinity dealership.

C300 - I hate this car and think it drives like a pig and a joke and not in the same league as the 335, and no manual (edit, apparently it does come in a manual?).

IS350 - again, doesn't feel in the same league to me, and it beeps and cries when you drive it hard, and it's not a manual gearbox. Hell, even the IS-F is slower than a 135i.

A4/A5 - Not a bad car, but a little booring a weak compared to the 335. More of a 328 competitor in my book.

S4 - Now we're getting there but you can't GET a new S4 except for the OLD car in cabrio form ($$$ for an outgoing car?!)

S5 - Probably my next closest choice, but comparably equipped it seems close to $10,000 more.

TL Type S (AWD) - as scary as it is for me to say, I swear this would be my main contender right now. God knows it's ugly, and the steering is "Acura Sloppy"...so hell, maybe this isn't even a choice either.

I really like the C63 (I know, no manual, but it's a great auto), but by the time you put one or two option packs on it, you're talking $12,000 more than the 335 and nudging into M3 territory which opens up a whole new debate.

Same can be said for the new CTS-V regarding the price making it a stretch for a fair comparo.

I feel like the only good alternative, which isn't even that fair, is looking for a 1 year old CPO C63 or M3.

Last edited by ezatnova; 10-13-2008 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0