Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
Nitrogen pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I don’t remember if I ever talked about it, but I lowered the nitrogen to 225psi with the stiffer springs——didn’t help.

And fwiw, 300 psi on my JRZ is not harsh or stiff. Casey from Racewerkz Engineering sought me out at the track years ago because he had heard I was running 300 psi and thought it was too stiff. So I took him out on track to feel for himself. After a full session on track at Buttonwillow, he thought it felt great and encouraged me not to change a thing. Because I have my own nitrogen rig, I was able to experiment with different settings at the track. I found that I like more psi.

Over the years, as I have experimented with various setups, I have found that not all conventional wisdoms are universal. You just gotta feel things out on your specific setup. Things like camber, suspension setup, alignment, brake pad config——if I blindly followed generic “wisdom”, my car would be setup differently......and in my opinion worse....The conclusions I have come up with over the years have come from me actually driving things and feeling the results. And believe me, I didn’t always get it right. Sometimes you do things, and they just don’t work out.
Don’t know if the AST design is similar to JRZ. When I spoke w AST they said more pressure would make it stiffer somewhat but more like fine tuning, not as much as with changing springs. I found 250-275 ps made the tire stay in contact with the road more. More pressure did make it a little stiffer but Significantly made the shocks rebound faster after compression.
I haven’t gone through the effort of buying slightly softer springs and trying them.