Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72dan View Post
Dogbone similar experience I am on AST 5300 true coilover so rear rate is different but eaualivalent of 700/1000 now. AST said I may want to go just a bit softer to 600/900 so the damper can do the work.
Also I just increased my nitrogen pressure from just under 200 to 275 and it made it stiffer almost like more spring but made it rebound faster.

My car is heavier than yours 3,600 lbs w driver. I was going to do full aero but haven’t yet. I think at my weight with full aero 700/1000 may be the way to go but stock aero go down 100 lbs in spring rate.

I think part of why your car is somstiff is you are running 300 psi nitrogen in your shocks.
I don’t remember if I ever talked about it, but I lowered the nitrogen to 225psi with the stiffer springs——didn’t help.

And fwiw, 300 psi on my JRZ is not harsh or stiff. Casey from Racewerkz Engineering sought me out at the track years ago because he had heard I was running 300 psi and thought it was too stiff. So I took him out on track to feel for himself. After a full session on track at Buttonwillow, he thought it felt great and encouraged me not to change a thing. Because I have my own nitrogen rig, I was able to experiment with different settings at the track. I found that I like more psi.

Over the years, as I have experimented with various setups, I have found that not all conventional wisdoms are universal. You just gotta feel things out on your specific setup. Things like camber, suspension setup, alignment, brake pad config——if I blindly followed generic “wisdom”, my car would be setup differently......and in my opinion worse....The conclusions I have come up with over the years have come from me actually driving things and feeling the results. And believe me, I didn’t always get it right. Sometimes you do things, and they just don’t work out.
Appreciate 0