Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
Spring rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I've been down this road a couple years ago. I wrote about it back in mid-2017 across several posts in my build thread. Perhaps something in there is useful to you. Starts with the 2nd-to-last post on page 19:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...158445&page=19

Topic continues on page 20:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...158445&page=20

Originally, I was at 600/800. I went to 750/1000----hated it. Couldn't turn in when entering high speed rounders. Went to 600/1000. Was pretty good. Went to 600/900, really liked it and that's where I am now. (My car weighs 3250 no fuel no driver. I weigh 170lbs)

Bryan Hise from JRZ is very adamant that, on a quality damper, stiff springs are a myth. He claimed a JRZ suspension should feel "plush" (his word). When you go too stiff, you reduce the damper's ability to move freely and make subtle changes with the surface. That was definitely what I experienced. On 750/1000, I felt like the tires were just scraping across the ground when trying to turn in. I lost several mph on high speed rounder turn in.

You say you're at the limit......then I would say, there are better tires out there than an R1. Personally, I think you have the right springs for that suspension and weight of the car. Move up to slicks.

Anyway, don't just take my word for it. I'll repeat what Bryan said to me-----springs are cheap....there's no harm in trying.
Dogbone similar experience I am on AST 5300 true coilover so rear rate is different but eaualivalent of 700/1000 now. AST said I may want to go just a bit softer to 600/900 so the damper can do the work.
Also I just increased my nitrogen pressure from just under 200 to 275 and it made it stiffer almost like more spring but made it rebound faster.

My car is heavier than yours 3,600 lbs w driver. I was going to do full aero but haven’t yet. I think at my weight with full aero 700/1000 may be the way to go but stock aero go down 100 lbs in spring rate.

I think part of why your car is somstiff is you are running 300 psi nitrogen in your shocks.