View Single Post
      07-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I agree that the negative comments regarding steering are problematic. But that should be something BMW can play with before the launch if it indeed is a problem.

On the other hand, I am not buying the old engine will be missed kind of nonsense. The pistonheads guy writes:

"So why is it that I miss the old straight ‘six’ – even though it was incapable of such powermeister heroics? Thing is, the V8 is just so, well, sensible. It doesn’t rattle like the old straight six did at times; it doesn’t spit and crackle and sound as if it’s digesting its own internals on occasion, because frankly, it isn’t. It’s a new engine, operating with micro-millimetre precision against a strict computer leash, and no doubt in this original iteration well within its own limits, unlike the old stager. The outright anger inherent in the old car has vanished..."

What is he trying to say, that it is better if the engine tries to destroy itself in delivering performance? It's as if the V8 is getting punished for delivering performance too easily. I've read another review which said something similar, and I don't think these guys have really thought about what they are putting down on paper, and are really just trying to be speculative and dramatic (at least when it comes to the "soul" of the engine).
Appreciate 0