View Single Post
      08-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
I don't have W7 yet but here's a comparison from a friend. He and my brother both have the exact same builds which are: i7 920 @ 2.66ghz 6gb ram, 2TB hard drives with a GTX280

At idle, Vista is eating up 1.6-2gbs of ram on my brother's comp

Friend is running W7 on idle, barely uses anything. It's just like XP again with the features of Vista!

For Vista...2gb is barely enough to operate at full capacity, but for W7, 2gb is more than enough for any task!
Thing is, I built this box myself just a few months ago with the resource hogging of Vista in mind, and it'll run anything on max settings for a while longer. While I didn't go the i7 route, I've still got a 9650E0@4.1GHz, 2x2GB@1.8GHz, and 2x4870 1GB cards (on a FoxConn X48 BlackOps Mobo [boo I know this was a dumb board, but I had extreme cooling and benching in mind for the first month or so]), 3x10kRPM in RAID5, etc.... So, I do have enough power to easily run Vista and pretty much whatever game at max settings on it.

I'm just hoping they didn't skimp on the package to make Win7 run faster. If they did, then it would just make sense to stay with Vista if it doesn't annoy you or hamper you in any way. Truth is, once they ironed all the bugs out, and once you got a computer that wasn't hindered by the fact that Vista is the fattest pig of an OS ever, it was a damn good OS IMHO. This is why I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to purchase Win7, so I'd like to get a taste of it before I was to order it.
Appreciate 0