08-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #45
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
If/when Porsche decides to race the Cayman, game over. I used to have a 911 (and my father has had a bunch of 911s, including multiple 996TTs which I drive more than he does), so i know the difference (any my experience in 911s is quite extensive), but the cayman S is just that good, and I love how it drives. I dont personally care about bluetooth or DSG. It will outhanndle ANY M car (let alone a regular bmw), easily, and without much effort to boot. The handling and responsiveness is what I enjoy the most. Its becomes an extension of your body. Have you driven one??
The M3 itself is watered down/neutered with electronics, and weight, in addition to trying to be an all in one car. That doesnt appeal to me much at the moment since I dont need a practical car. The m3 is ALSO A WET SUMP MOTOR, so i guess its no good either.
Agree 100% with everything you said right up until your comparison in the last sentence. There are some inherent disadvantages to a wet sump system in a horizontally opposed setup that aren't present in a traditional V-8. That said, I don't think the wet sump issue is as big of a deal as some Porsche purists make it out to be.

I loved the Cayman S. The car is so complete and perfectly balanced, I didn't really even notice the relative lack of power. I only ruled it out on practicality considerations.
Appreciate 0