10-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #57
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums.com View Post
Ferrari & Porsche I felt were fair examples, with Porsche even having the ability to offer such a vehicle in AWD and chooses not to. Based purely on the understanding, that the additional weight just cannot be overcome.

Yes, Downforce, and Wings (and tires) are very critical in making a RWD car perform... but that's exactly why they outperform AWD.

I just think it's old to say 'RWD' can't put down power... etc... etc... Have you noticed the Ring Times?
I'll leave out the motorsport argument on rwd vs awd because it's not allowed it compete is most forms of the sport along side rwd so we'll leave it at that.

Downforce is what keeps a rwd car glued at speed and allows for the power to be applied earlier than normal. Something that is common to any awd car.

The additional weight to a 997 awd from a 997 rwd is basically 40kgs. As most of this is actually sits over the front axle and helps shift some of the weight forward thus benefiting the balance of the car. Why they chose not to go the awd way with the GT2 is probably the same as with the GT3, awd is effectively banned from motorsport. It basically the reason why no manufacturers offer their closest track based models in awd form, not that it's better not because it would be obsolete.

Next you talk about ring times. Well lets look at that, the ZR1 and ACR are both more powerful and weigh a heck of a lot less than the GTR yet are only a couple or three seconds quicker over a seven minute twenty something lap. Given that both car destroy the Nissan on the straights what does that not say about the three cars in the corners.

The only advantage that rwd has over awd is steering feel and involvement in that the driver does everything to keep it on the track, I will continue to admit these facts and if that is how you prefer things then I respect that, but don't think for one minute that rwd is somehow better than awd. It may well be true when comparing an Audi which is compromised for packaging reasons but when the awd car is designed to take full advantage of things like is the case with the GTR and R8 then that argument that rwd is best is a very debatable one at best.
Appreciate 0