View Single Post
      05-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #82
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Well, you just wrote that traction was a joke with about 450 lbs rwtq UNTIL you added LSD and wider wheels, which means traction was OK after that. So the traction issues associated with greater torque can be addressed.

I do agree that massive torque that breaks the tires loose can make it next to impossible to regain traction after that without backing way off the throttle. I have a 3200 lb E36M3 with a GT3582R turbo that makes 500 lbs rwtq by 4000 rpm and can fit only 255 wide tires. There is nothing I can do if I want to maintain that torque other than to cut the arches and run flares and much bigger tires and maybe a higher lock LSD. Or I can reduce torque to maintain traction -- one way would be to run a traction control system that cuts fuel like the Racelogic. Another would be to go to a slower spooling turbo like a GT4094R that would give a more centrifugal supercharger like power curve -- so I understand your comment about how the centrifugal can help traction. But massive torque is so much fun in a daily driver.
Appreciate 0