Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
there's a reason for the connector and sim card... size.

The 30 pin connector is OLD, and with its redundancies they needed to go smaller and thinner for the new form factor (including the new iPod Touch/Nano). With the limited amount of space in the iPhone 5 they probably had no choice but to ditch the legacy connector.

The same goes for the nano sim. Apple is going out of their way to make each and every single component smaller, thinner, yet faster and more efficient in its function to accommodate one thing... battery. Everyone knows that LTE is power hungry, so Apple did everything they could to make the battery bigger. Hell, this was probably another reason why the made the screen 4" in the first place; to make a larger phone and insert in a larger battery.

As for USB 3.0? Yeah, I agree that's sort of annoying. That actually would've been useful (much faster data transfers, much better power availability for charging). AND it's backwards compatible. Maybe the didn't have the proper components to include that in the phone connector? Who knows. Maybe they're saving it for the iPhone 5S for next year's release. (I wouldn't be surprised)

IMO, the whole cable thing is a little bit of an annoyance, but at the same time, I can see why Apple made this decision. The fact that 'Lightning' is more durable (we'll see) and that it is a reversible plug in (definitely a welcome feature) is surely a plus, and with improving technologies, we'll be using physical connections less and less. With wi-fi and bluetooth 4.0, a lot of the past functions of the 30-pin connector are useless. In the mean time, yes, the adapter is a kick in the balls (I'm definitely waiting on monoprice) but I'm not gonna cry over it. I'm sure I can wait a month or two before third-party accessories adapt to the new change.
I agree, its not a huge deal, but you would think they would make the adaptor cheap to ease the transition but they did the exact opposite.

Carrying two cables its not the end of the world, it was something that had to happen at one point or another, they just didnt have to kick us in the balls while doing it

I do hope they are more durable, one of my exs use to murder those cables, two-three months and you would start seeing the cables inside
Appreciate 0