06-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #138
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
If that's the case, difference would be awfully close IMO, assuming both configurations are all aluminum. A V6 needs 4 cams, but are shorter than the 2 on an I6. You also need 2 heads vs 1. I think the only reason for a V6 is car needs a shorter nose, saving weight there, but the engines themselves would probably weight the same.

As it was commented, I can't imagine a smaller M3, especially with a shorter hood; it'd look like a Honda Civic . I'm not going to buy the new generation regardless, but am very curious what BMW will do about the next M3. Unfortunately, we're not going to know for a while. Take care.
Actually you can't make a larger (reliable) inline-six engine without adding both hight and length to that type of engine configuration. The adjacent cylinders are simply too close together. If you built the block out of Aluminum (instead of cast iron), the engine would be much larger than the S54B32 engine in the E46 M3. (assuming at least a 3.5-liter displacement engine for durability) That would place even more weight past the plane the front axle. (the worst possible place to add weight) It would then be nearly impossible to maintain the M3's famous 50/50 weight distribution legacy with a larger inline-six cylinder engine. (with cast iron turbos and steel exhaust piping hanging off it)

Not to mention the space constraints on the exhaust manifold side of the motor. I don't think many of you guys understand how difficult it is to twin-turbocharge an inline-six engine with all that exhaust plumbing in such a small area. The 335i is a pain in the arse to work on, because there is virtually no room on the passenger side of the car. Not to mention the weight balance of a 335i would be magnified in an M3 with larger turbos and larger diameter piping to get the same amount of power we have now.

So the weight would be skewed from the passenger side to the driver side, and the front of the car to the rear. Now you are really taxing your engineering resources to balance out the car because of the engine.

That's Not practical nor cost efficient...

The only practical solution...is the V6 engine.

It is the only engine configuration that guarantees you both symmetry and weight balance. (front, rear, left, right)

Another thing...

You guys are always making the same repetitive arguments...

I have owned every M3 since the E30 S14, and these "discussions" always end up the same way...

"If BMW [insert criticism here], I'll never buy another M3"

The 'anti' this or 'anti' that crowd quickly chimes in on how terrible the NEXT generation M3 will be...and that the BMW executives have gone off the deep end. (what a shocker)

I really wish you guys would wise up, and realize that these people work very hard to build us some pretty amazing cars. Take a deep breath, and reserve judgment until the new car is built. A few of you sound like elitist snobs. I mean seriously...take it down a notch before some of you hyperventilate.

BMW has market forces (and government regulations), that simply cannot be avoided. This can push them into becoming more practical, rather than throwing caution to the wind. BMW is going in another direction out of pure necessity. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way...this is the same stuff I heard in 2004, 2005, and 2006 when rumors leaked out about BMW using a V8 engine in the next generation M3. (look how that turned out)

You should have heard all the b1tching and griping back then...

It looks like history is once again repeating itself...