06-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #234
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
After playing Random forever, I think I'm settling in on Zerg as my preferred race. I just feel like I have more control over the map as Zerg. My favorite Zerg unit is the Infestor, however, I feel it's over-priced. It only has 90HP; compared to the other races' specialized units: Ghost 100HP and High Templar.

The cost:
High Templar: 50 min/150 gas
Ghost: 100 min/150 gas
Infestor: 150 min/150 gas

So, we have a caster unit with less HP and easier to spot for more resource cost. It no longer has Infested Terran, but Frenzy is a useful ability (use it on your Hydras behind your front line units for amazing damage). I haven't played much team games, but if you can Frenzy an ally's units, imagine Frenzied Collossus or Siege Tanks!

The Infestor sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a pretty large unit, and its belly can be brightly colored (depending on your color).

Still, it's great having a range advantage (if you upgraded Hydralisk range), coming to any group of units that you outrange, and using Fungal Growth as they just stand their while you kill them. They're also a great alternative to Overseers in terms of detecting cloaked Banshees in your base: Fungal Growth can reveal cloaked, and make it so they can't move (just know that they can still shoot).

On at least two occassions, I was able to win by using Changeling and seeing a turtled Terran mass Battlecruisers. You can use Neural Parasite to make those Battlecruisers your own (termporarily; long enough to destroy a lot of stuff/the Battlecruisers themselves). So, sometimes, Mass Infestors can be a feasible strategy.

Be very wary of sending them to the front line though. They have a slightly faster than your Hydralisk move speed off creep. They may end up on your front line if you're not careful, and their large size and bright color make them easy to focus on.

They can however, move while burrowed. If your opponent isn't careful, you can burrow a few Roaches and a couple of Infestors, pop up in your enemies supply line, and freeze their gatherers with Fungal Growth (which Damages Over Time), while your Roaches clean up. Burrow your Infestors (retreat them, or keep them hidden). Let your Roaches get killed. Sometimes, they don't notice the Fungal Growth, and think it was just the Roaches. Disrupt them again with your Infestors when they leave.

Other things for your Infestors to watch out for: High Templar (Feedback), Ghost (Snipe; 2 shots kills an Infestor). BTW, Snipe is a useful skill. I defended a ramp making use of Snipe barely making it through. If I wasn't sniping units, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it through at all. I would later go on to win by Nuking his supply line, which he didn't see.
Appreciate 0