07-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Alpine - Good luck with the sale.... How would you go about the test drive? We've had a case recently here where some blokes turned up to test drive a car, kicked the owner out down the road and took off. It's made me a bit cagey about the whole private sale thing, especially with a $$$ car such as an M3. What strategy are you using?

Many thanks
Genrally I get a positive, or otherwise, feeling when they person rocks up in a nice car. The two guys to date have driven up in a E92 335i and an X6 so I wasn't too worried really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAAXED View Post
I presume insurance would cover something like that right?
One would hope so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
meet in a public place
bring a friend along
photocopy their drivers license
be suspicious if they arrived by bus/train (its a 100k+ car!)
hold onto keys of their car if you can't be bothered to ride along in the back (alas, be wary.. i've heard of stolen cars being used to boost their image/let down your guard)
don't cancel insurance till the funds are 100% in your possession

sorry, typing on android.. can't be bothered using capitals
I always sit in the front, funny though, one of the two guys actually wanted to be a passenger only (I suspect he couldn't drive a manual very well) and the other guy had driven a number of E92s so was happy to just look on his first visit..

I have sold privately around 8 cars in the past 7 years or so and had no issues thus far, Canberra is probably a little "safer" for that sort of stuff, besides most of the buyers have come from interstate, and were more mature people, to buy my more recent cars so unlikely that they would be jackers..... but you never no I guess.

Either way, untill it is sold the 1M has found itself outside nightly, that worries me more TBH.
Appreciate 0