11-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #33
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
That's definitely a fun piece, but of course it's got the overdramatized differences you typically find in Top Gear - and in most magazine comparisons as well. I'm not taking pot shots at any of those venues, but drama sells, pure and simple.

In point of fact, these cars are very close, both in acceleration and in the twisties.

I personally feel that the newest, highest-performing version of the M3 will be very close to even in straight line performance to the standard C63, but of course the latest C63 power pack offering will be that much quicker.

In the twisties, the M3 handles fairly well (not terrific, because of its size and weight), and will continue to be quicker than the Merc - but not by a ton.

On track, I personally feel that the C63 can be more fun than the M3 because of the amazing variation you can usefully use in terms of cornering attitudes, but of course no matter how much fun you're having, the M3 will be gradually pulling away.

Overall, I find the C63 to be the more fun and entertaining DD, and it's possible that given free choice (and wallet), I might have to move to the dark side and buy an automatic. In this case the Merc, since I am unimpressed with the bimmer auto in everyday driving.
sure its a fun piece...It's Top Gear!....whats your point???!!

but the bottom line is they took all three cars around the same track....same conditions and same driver and the M3 beat the C63 by 5 seconds....I may be stupid...but in the world of track racing, a 5 second beat is an asskicking!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0