View Single Post
      06-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #154
JWE90
2008 E90 M3 6 spd., no sunroof, no nav, no idrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

My point was basically that a car is a depreciating asset. Even the precious M3 is eventually destined for the car crusher.

A cash buyer can usually pay less; in my case, it was a lot less - around $10k and you are minimizing your capital losses on the purchase. Your loss on the purchase will eventually be 100% if you keep the car long enough as the capital spent on the car is converted into driving entertainment.

Houses are different, because at least in this area, they appreciate in value and yield rental income (or some equivalent value as shelter). So paying interest on that asset class can be justified.

If you are seriously doing this calculation you should factor in the astronomical cost of ownership for this vehicle which includes about 32 cents/mile for gas at 14.2 mpg and 20 cents/mile for tires (the Neovas are good for about 6000 miles plus a couple of track days). I go through 1 set of brakes per year (6000-8000 miles) which even with aftermarket parts is about $1500, or roughly 25 cents/mile. Including depreciation this car probably costs upwards of $1/mile to operate, not including opportunity cost on the purchase price. As with everything, your mileage may vary.

So ... if those kind of numbers will significantly impact your monthly budget then I would not even consider owning this car.
Appreciate 0