11-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
What is the format for the event?

For example: The trackdays I have done consist of 3 groups which go for 20 minutes each (40 mins between runs). I did my first autocross with the PCA at El Toro and there was 2+ hours of downtime between runs? Is this standard for autocrosses?

Also, is the parking lot pretty clean? The autocross I did at El Toro (abondoned air strip) was extremely dirty with some sizable rocks - I would not subject my car to that again unless I wrapped the entire thing in blue tape lol.
This is not a track day. I like to refer to this as a "parking lot event". We will be at the Auto Club Speedway facility but we'll be located outside of the speedway, adjacent to the kart track.

The downtime you mention at the PCA event is just part of the hobby. Many drivers prefer big-track events. Some prefer autocrossing. I love them both equally. But I wish I got as much seat time at an autocross as I get at the big-track. (I can get away with some really dumb stuff and live to talk about it at an autocross.)

We aim to deliver 11 laps to all drivers. More if we're running ahead of schedule. It usually goes: drive 4 laps, work the course, drive 4 laps, lunch, work the course, drive 3 timed laps. There's no guarantee that timing will be operational and on display during the "practice laps". The course will be about 1 mile long. And you'll be busy all day.

The lot we use at ACS is the best I've used. Your car is safe at this event/facility.

The only danger to your car is the quantity of cones you flatten. I've probably hit 100+ cones with my e90. Of those, I probably had one or two scratches in the paint. If you're a normal individual, you'll touch zero cones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...AKKPc7I#t=272s

The event in September featured about a half dozen v8 M3s. Most of them return customers. We run an efficient day that respects your time.

Here's a generic FAQ: http://sdbmwcca.com/docs/autocross-FAQ.html
Appreciate 0