03-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #315
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Well I am considering buy new from a non AD as the price differential from new to used is 500 and thats peanuts at this price point. If i did buy used it would have to be in mint condition.

Would you worry about not buying from an AD?
The reliability, ubiquity and toughness of Rolex watches is such that it's one pricey watch I would have no reservation about buying from a grey market seller (GMS) or trustworthy used watch seller. I would say that actually about most any mainstream watch -- Omega, IWC, Breitling, Patek, AP, and any watch that has ETA, Miyota or Sellita inside.

Generally, used watch seller, if they are a standard jeweler or new watch seller won't have much but mint condition used watches. It's much the same as why new car dealerships tend to have the best used car specimens. They have nothing to gain by trying to sell a sub par watch and they have a lot to lose if they do so.

If you check out Alan Furman, you'll see they are a GMS that sells new and used Rolexes. You can contact them and ask them to describe the state of the watch to you. As them to use a loupe to identify the status of the watch if that suits you. Assuming simple daily use, you should expect a used Rolex in SS not to have any visible marks/scratches, but it's quite possible that under a loupe, some may appear.

I suppose other GMSes also sell used Rolexes. Lots of new watch sellers also sell used ones, especially Rolex's. Topper also is a good place to seek used watches. (http://www.topperjewelers.com/watches/pre_owned_select/)

All the best.

P.S.
If you really have nothing useful you can do with $500, being "peanuts," holler at me when you are ready to buy. I'll gladly buy the watch for you from a reliable seller and sell it to you, box unopened, for $500 more. <winks and chuckles>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0