e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosholoza View Post
Do I get a
2012 Porsche Cayman R, Peridot green, 6spd, plus radio and aircon, OR

2011 BMW M3, White, competition package, DCT, fully loaded Convenience package, Premium package, BMW Apps, etc.

I loved my Cayman, so did my wife - great handling, fun track days, excellent dealer service, PCA club, the Porsche exclusivity factor. BUT my 06 CS engine blew at the track with 55K miles on it and the CPO warranty was not honored. Out of 11 track days it was trailered home 3 time due to breakdowns.
This CR is bare bones, A PDK is not available until next year. The gen 2 engines are supposedly more reliable.

I used to own and track a 04 BMW 330i ZHP - we also loved it, did 145K miles. Tracked it 15 times with no problems. Also a lot of fun, but not in the same league as the Cayman S. Dealer service was average, no club or social activity, no "P" factor.
This M3 is in a different performance league! It has DCT (which my wife wants this time), and is loaded with all the creature comforts.

I will be doing a 36 month lease, and the M3 will end up costing $5K less than the CR over that period. Also there will be no maintenance costs for the M3.

Convince me why I should come back to BMW...
How track reliable is DCT?