View Single Post
      01-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #31
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Nope...sorry...I dont feel the same way as you do...I love my gas guzzling, screaming V8...the way I look at it...if you can afford the gas for your car...then why buy that car? Global warming....yeah...thats BS....come live in Germany....not warm at all here right now...
OT here, but by that logic please explain why it's been over 90 degrees in parts of LA in mid January?
Just because it's cold in a certain part of the world doesn't mean there is NO global warming going on, LOL
Guess all the ice caps and glaciers are just temporarily melting away for the past 20-30 years.

As for the topic at hand, wow, it's amazing how harsh people are on this M3 forum.
I can appreciate what the guy is asking and applaud him for his honesty and apparent responsible attitude.

Drive the M3 again. There are people who love the Honda S2000 for it's racy abilities too and then there are people who can't take the buzzing racket it makes. But at the same time they WANT the performance, handling and fun that car offers too.
If they offered the S2000 with a small (say 2.8 liter 6 cylinder) that made the same 225-230 hp but more torque and was a bit smoother, quieter and "refined" I'm sure their would be boatloads of people who'd of choosen that version instead, even IF it didn't handle quite as well since it would be a bit more front heavy.

To me, sounds like you want the best of both worlds between the M3 and the 335i.
Hard to get.
But the closest you can come is getting the 335i, add a plug and play tune to it for $600-700 and make it equally as fast in a straight line, but be more "relaxed" as you want and still get 19-20 mpg on average to spirited mixed driving, and 26-27 mpg highway crusing at 80-85 mph.
Then throw on a set of suspension, some nice wheels and you'll have a car that will handle better than the stock 335i but still not as good as the M3.
The suspension should not have any warranty issues.
The tune comes off in 30 minutes with 2-3 small tools kept in the trunk if you need to remove it before taking it to the dealer.

Then if you ever want to go to the track or want even more sporty 335i, add upgraded brake pads, lines and fluid for less fade and more grippy braking.
Add a larger FMIC for better cooling a bit more power and keeping boost from dropping off from heat soak.

In those cases based on what you've described you should be good to go.

I'm a different case myself, I love both the M3 and 335i.
I love high revving engines and the M3's V8 but also love turbocharged power and the low end torque and thrust it provides.

To me if the M3 goes Forced induction in the future, which I'm sure it will, would be a dream.

A 3.3-3.5 liter twin turbo I6 that revs to 7500 rpms but has 4-6 psi boost and makes 430-440 hp and 400 lbs feet of torque plus gets a combined 17-18 mpg and is 100-150 lbs lighter than the current M3.
Sign me up!
Appreciate 0