06-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
ericsmc83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
What a small world. I am about to order the same sub (in Rosenut). Did you use the Avia DVD/SPL meter package for calibration, or do you recommend another method?

I remember reading that it weighs 155lbs, did they really use a forklift to get it to your home? This worries me as it will be going in my basement theater.
You won't be sorry. I didn't order the Avia package they offered. I have a few test tone CD's I made to test levels over the frequency band. I've heard the Avia disc is an awesome calibration tool, though.

A forklift did seem a bit excessive, but as FirstClass mentioned, it is more the size of the box than the weight. Not to say it's light by any means, but two people should have no issue moving it. Once out of the box and packaging, it's much easier to handle/manuever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
155? Hell you can lift that by yourself if it weren't so big/awkward/boxy. Two people will have no problem if that's the actual weight.

Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)
I did, too, but it really does wonders for sound. I didn't get it to be loud; I got it for the low-end extension. It can reproduce frequencies beyond human hearing that make those explosions/earthquakes more realistic. But the SPL capability is a nice bonus! Honestly, I prefer my setup over most of the local commercial theater setups as far as SQ is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
what are you using to power this sub?
There's a dedicated fused 750W BASH amplifier built into the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I bought the SVS PB10 2 months ago, small room, great sound. Very large cabinet for a 10" woofer. I was surprised by the large size.

I can't imagine the 13". Seriously, why?

I bet your dad didn't realize how large the cabinet would be, when he told you to pick it out.

I guess that's the problem with SVS - online only (unless you're in Canada). Can't see it before you buy it.

That Ultra series gets great reviews.

Next step...dual subs.
Those ported boxes have to be big to sound good. My dad was shocked when he first saw it (actually he hadn't even heard of SVS when I was researching) and said it looked like one of those mini-refrigerators.

Duals would be a great addition, although I would begin to worry about the structural integrity of the house I live in!
2008 E92 MT | VTT Stage 2+ 20T | VTT Inlets | JB4 MHD E85 | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP w/FPR and Return | BMS PI | AR DP | AE Quad Exhaust | Helix FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | DCI | AR OCC | Spec Stage 3+ | SMFW
Appreciate 0