01-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
HID halos installed

I must say, these kick butt!

I installed the kit marketed by camaro305ss described here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190474. I was a little nervous about a "home built" kit.

Most of the kit is a manufactured HID one by Xentec. You can pick your color temperature -- the box lists 3k to 30k. I was going to match the stock 4,300, but decided to go with 6k. The home built part is some circuitry that, frankly, could be more professionally presented. It's a small circuit board and parts which have been wrapped in electrical tape, but not sealed. You install it in the right light housing so it is safe from water. Camaro's instructions (text & photos) in the link leave something to be desired, as well. I'd say the project requires a medium level of automotive electrical experience, definitely not something for the complete novice.

My biggest frustration was getting the new HID lamps in the sockets. One went in easily, the other refused. I finally got out my Dremel Mototool and cut down one tab that was bigger than the stock ones, and it went in fine. The installation seems confusing, but is quite straightforward once you understand it. The end result in the engine compartment is quite low key and clean.

It was snowing out when I was installing and when I got them turned on they lit up the driveway's half-inch of snow with very bright light (last photo). They are 35W, same as stock, but put out a whole lot more of white light. Xenon is a form of HID; compared to halogen, they put out at least twice the lumens per watt, plus don't have to have a blue-tinted capsule (loss of light) to be white. There is no lamp out error message, as the kit includes resistors to simulate a load on the stock wiring. The new lights are run through a relay directly off the battery power connection in the engine compartment. They will stay at full output in parking light and headlight mode, as well as DRL mode.

Anyhow, I'm pleased so far. We'll see if they function correctly and hold up after I can drive.
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-04-2009 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0