10-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
I spoke with the AfterSales Manager of BMW Holland, so that's quite high up in the organization... Could be Dutch? Car is built in Germany, so must be serviced in Germany, right?
This just doesn't add up. BMW programs all of the ECUs with the same format. I think you should find a BMWNA rep that can go through the proper channels for the information. Maybe Holland needs to hear officially that they are responsible for US designated cars. Let us know what you find out and good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW
Since your car was a US spec model it makes sense that no changes were made before shipping it back to the states. If you're in the military a US spec car can be driven in Europe without modifications but if you're not, you might have to make some changes to meet the European standards.
My point exactly. OK, I see what you're saying but why would European standards be different from one person to the next when it comes to safety? Military personnel and their POVs aren't exempt from European law.

All changes that I remembered were reverse. US DOT required the special glass, different bumpers, safety bars within the doors, and our dreaded emmisions equipment. That's why I never brought back the Dinan 5er. Man, do I have loads of memories in that car.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0