View Single Post
      05-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
I think the same. I never understood why anyone would pay the performance premium of an M3 and get a soft top.
Because an E46 M3 cab will simply destroy any non-M E46 3 series. And by destroy I mean decimate. I've driven a ZHP and it feels slowwww after driving my M3. Sure its not cheap for the cab - but if you want a convertible that doesn't get embarassed by Nissan Maxima, then you have to pony up.

But of course that was then. And this is now.

And for the E93 M3 there's big problems. Problem one is that the E93 will probably approach 4000lbs which is just too heavy. Its like M6 heavy. Second problem is that there is the E93 335i sitting there just a PROceed away from 380+hp and M3 besting acceleration. And its probably 20 grand cheaper.

What to do?

I am waiting. If the M3 cab defies all predictions and somehow comes in at around 3800lbs then I will think about getting one - but used, not new, as $60k is my limit for a car.

The thing with the 335i, tho, is the lack of LSD. That's the single biggest distraction I have when switching between my wife's car and mine. In fact, its way, way more noticeable than the extra 200lbs of weight my car carries. This can be fixed with an aftermarket diff but, but I would definitely want to test one out first because I hear the Quaife still goes open on a wheel lift, and that's not hard to do on a twisty vert.
Appreciate 0