06-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #39
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
I'm willing to bet that set of aftermarket swaybars will make FAR more difference on track than set of more performance oriented tires.

Take two M3s. One with all seasons and one with PS2. It is much more likely that a car with aftermarket swaybars (or set of bilsteins) running all seasons will lap faster than stock suspension car with PS2.

That is not to say you should cheap out on tires, especially on these cars. Tires are a good mod, but not the best.
A fairly massively artificial case. Who puts all season tires on an M3 for aggressive driving let alone for track work? Let's be more realistic. From which would you get a bigger change in lap times? Stock M3, stock tires (any particular generation M3) vs. one change only, race rubber or stiffer sway bars? I guess since you already said sways would be a larger difference than the pretty huge change from all season tires to PS2 then you would also still bet on the sways in the case I just laid out? I'd bet on the the rubber myself since the sways are much closer to ideal than the rubber.

On non sporty handling cars with really flimsy sway bars perhaps the sways would buy you more. Would be an interesting experiment. However, I think there are probably some real track nuts here (enigma?) who could answer this pretty definitively without having to do the testing.
Appreciate 0