View Single Post
      12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Auto manufactures leave HP on the table all the time. They decide what is their desired performance number is and what will meet Global needs/laws/standards and stick with that. I have been adding HP to cars since I was 16 and this has always been the case.

Let's look at the m3. Why did BMW make a heavy ass muffler when we know it could be made much lighter reducing weight which will make the car quicker. Couldn't BMW make a filter which is more like after market versions to get 1-2 more HP? Couldn't BMW software tune more HP out of these cars? Couldn't BMW install higher flow cats while still passing all emissions. If all these things were done and the car can produce say 430-440 HP stock instead of 414, why did BMW not do this? If the car had 25 more HP but cost 1k more would it sell less or more?

If you can answer why BMW did not do the above and BMW can only get 414 out of the S65 motor then I will retract my questions and admit you are the BMW master
Wow that is an easy arguement to win. Its simple, everything you mentioned is either costly or has downside in terms of engine reliability and longevity (tune), high flow cats (expensive and more CO2), lighter muffler (really expensive)

Making a plastic elbow with a larger interior diameter is essentially a free process that costs no more than an elbow with a smaller diameter. A larger elbow has no emissions problems, longevity, driveability etc. That is why I said it makes no sense.

If you re-read your post its a bit silly to make the comparison to all these costly and emissions-unfriendly mods and say that if bmw didn't do those, then that explains why they did not use a piece of plastic with a bigger hole in it if 10hp was to be had
Appreciate 0