View Single Post
      06-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #229
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Did you even read the list? I don't disagree that there are few discrepancies or inconsistencies in the Bible, but there are far less than 700. Most of the items on the list are just remarks (some of it, mere sarcasm) regarding verses without any attempt to understand the underlying meaning to them. See, for example, 95% (or perhaps more) of the comments concerning Acts on forward through the rest of the New Testament.
I have read the document; but I confess I didnt actually count to see if it added up to 700 exactly.

Certainly the tone of some of the points being mentioned is less than the reverential one usually reserved for such discussions.

Basically, it's the same tone often taken in other topics when there is an expectation that claims would be backed up with valid evidence, and such expectations are not met. There is undoubtedly a double standard, a routine deference accorded to religious ideologies. Deviations from that tend to surprise people.

Open conversations are essential to progress in other topics.
There's nothing wrong with asking for the same intellectual honesty when talking about religious views.

Sam Harris says it better than I can, so rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, I'll include his position below:

He suggests that, just as a person declaring a belief that Elvis is still alive would immediately make his every statement suspect in the eyes of those he was conversing with, asserting a similarly non-evidentiary point on a religious doctrine ought to be met with similar suspicion. He also believes there is a need to counter inhibitions that prevent the open critique of religious ideas, beliefs, and practices under the auspices of "tolerance".

He maintains that religion allows views that would otherwise be a sign of "madness" to become accepted or, in some cases, revered as "holy", citing as an example the doctrine of transubstantiation. Harris contends that if a lone individual developed this belief, he or she would be considered "mad", and that it is "merely an accident of history that it is considered normal in our society to believe that some all-knowing Creator of the universe can hear your thoughts while it is clinically demonstrative of mental illness to believe that he is communicating back to you by having the rain tap in code on your bedroom window"