09-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #44
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by carogers86 View Post
Can Vanity or anyone else share their thoughts about doing this low-carb diet and including 10-15 hours of aerobic exercise? Specifically, 4-5 days into the diet completing a 2.5 hour flat and easy ride became difficult.

Years ago I raced road bikes at the professional level and could easily manage 4-5 hour rides with 4-5 cliff bars and a coke. I have been riding more to get my legs back (and lose weight) and have worked up to riding 4-5 hours easy on completely flat roads. Around day 4 or 5, a 2.5 hour ride would feel like 6 hours. I would be completely "bonked" @ 2.5 hours.

I know that a low-carb diets can deplete glycogen which has an affect on aerobic exercise. I started contemplating the idea of taking "cliff shots" (energy gel) with me to keep me going. These shots have 28g of carb and 8g of sugar. From what I understand, these shots are made to quickly replenish the glycogen lost by endurance athletes.

If I maintain a carb intake of no more than 20g, excluding the energy gels I use DURING my ride, would my body stay in ketosis? I feel I can go from fully loaded glycogen stores to ketosis in 6 hours by mashing out a grueling training ride; I mean these rides can drain your glycogen in a matter of hours.
My only advice would be to try it and that, with common sense, to stop if you feel it's dangerous.

I haven't updated this thread in ages but,

Total weight lost so far: 30lbs.