View Single Post
      08-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

start up question...llc or sole prop?

i have a pretty simple business idea that i can do i manage in my spare time. i want to distribute a small publication and charge for ad space. i know i know never will work, dumbest idea ever bla bla...please advise if you can offer something constructive...please. maybe the wrong place to ask and if that is the case i apologize.

i have done research and start up cost are minimal. i have most of what is needed to get this off the ground. besides the motivation, i have designers to design the ads and layout the publication, i have the office space, i have a sales team, i have the relationship with a printing company suitable enough to print what i need, i have already contacted distribution points, and i have content. just curious as to the logistics of setting up the business...

i do have an ein number from years ago when i worked as an independent contractor. the ein number never really declared income before because i never used it. i just got the number because i was going to be heavily involved with a business that flopped. again that was some time ago. i still have the number....

in any event...i know there are differences between a sole prop and an llc but on the surface of the idea would i be able to start as sole prop then switch to an llc?? would that be pointless? should i just legal zoom a simple llc and go from there? im asking in terms of banking....after i get a llc formed, then i can open a business account with a bank, and after i open a business account i can get a merchant account that will allow me to accept credit cards...

thank you for reading
Appreciate 0