07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Although I track on Rs3s, I have drive with PSS before and never had that much issues.

If you're having major traction issues, it could be that you're entering in too hot. Also, your tire pressures could also be way off. Stock is 35 cold, but on hot days you want to be around 27-29 cold.
So if you didn't adjust accordingly, you could have easily been running 45+hot and that would be quite bad.

Also, a stock 335 will be able to murder even a modified M3 depending on the driver (both in the 335 and in the M3). So not being able to keep up with a stock 335 isn't a bad thing.
S2ks, 370Zs, BRZs with good drivers can easily drive faster than a regular driver in a M3.

On a road course, it's all about the driver and how s/he knows the track, the lines, braking points, etc etc.

Big Willow, while being lest technical than SOW or BRP, still requires experience to go fast (and some big balls). The best way to pick up time for M3s is to go flat out through T8.

I remember when I had my M3, at my first track day I would go through T9 at around 100, maybe 110. Later one, although I wasn't able to look at my gauge much, I would be going around 125-130ish (as I would be flat out exiting T6/7 all the way to T9, where I would need to brake).

So although tires, suspension, brake pads etc are very very important, first the foremost comes driver experience, which only comes with more seat time.
in the cold PSS are fine.

i started my after-lunch session at 28/29 psi and they only got up to 36psi max. tire pressure wasn't the issue. the tires actually turned very greasy from the heat of the track after a few laps. and with over 600 HP, I was spinning the rear wheels all the time. When you do that ABS and DSC turn themselves off. my dash and NAV actually were lit up like christmas. it was surreal. Lesson learned - don't track with PSS (or any 300 tread wear tire for that matter) when temps are hot.

i did a 1:38.1 lap when it was 80+ degrees out before lunch...but when i went out after lunch it was 97 degrees and the track temp neared 150 degrees, i should not have gone out there with street tires. I couldn't break 1:50 as I was sliding everywhere.

A prius with R-compounds could have been faster than me.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0