07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
just don't try 300 treadwear street tires (Mich PSS) like I did at Big Willow a few weeks ago. ABS and DSC actually became inoperable because I had literally no traction at all in the afternoon session. i don't know what was worse....going off track of not being able to keep up with a stock m-tech 335 lol
Although I track on Rs3s, I have drive with PSS before and never had that much issues.

If you're having major traction issues, it could be that you're entering in too hot. Also, your tire pressures could also be way off. Stock is 35 cold, but on hot days you want to be around 27-29 cold.
So if you didn't adjust accordingly, you could have easily been running 45+hot and that would be quite bad.

Also, a stock 335 will be able to murder even a modified M3 depending on the driver (both in the 335 and in the M3). So not being able to keep up with a stock 335 isn't a bad thing.
S2ks, 370Zs, BRZs with good drivers can easily drive faster than a regular driver in a M3.

On a road course, it's all about the driver and how s/he knows the track, the lines, braking points, etc etc.

Big Willow, while being lest technical than SOW or BRP, still requires experience to go fast (and some big balls). The best way to pick up time for M3s is to go flat out through T8.

I remember when I had my M3, at my first track day I would go through T9 at around 100, maybe 110. Later one, although I wasn't able to look at my gauge much, I would be going around 125-130ish (as I would be flat out exiting T6/7 all the way to T9, where I would need to brake).

So although tires, suspension, brake pads etc are very very important, first the foremost comes driver experience, which only comes with more seat time.
Appreciate 0