View Single Post
      07-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Out of context in the sense of being a media fad, which I agree with. I guess it depends on how you define "brief period of time". The media will cover the shit out of this until it gets stale and something else comes along. In the overall scheme of the earth, it can also be considered an overall insignificant event. Hell, one can argue that humans have only existed for a brief period of time. I'm not saying it will be forgotten next year or in 20, and that it isn't a major issue for many people and won't continue to be. Just that it depends on perspective. From a perspective that's removed from the situation, it will not be at the forefront of consciousness probably as soon as this fall, nor should it be. There will be a new media "fad" by then
I completely agree with your sentiment/observations, etc... My beef is with people who are quite obvioulsly removed from the situation and seemingly proud of it. So proud and confident in all their worldly experience that they are able make blanket statements about it's effect on "the real people"... Most of them while sitting in their bathrobe in their mom's basement eating stale Cheerios.

I'm not just talking about the oil spill either. It's a lot of different issues I'm drawing on here, but the results are always the same. Lots of under-informed people being coached along by the under-informed media being coached along by under-informed experts all being spun by political/commercial operatives so that a very small group of people can make LOTS of money.

You don't have to subscribe to the politics, but IMO you do have a duty as a member of the human race to show a little compasion. I've never been one to sugar coat the truth, and I'm sure I've hurt my fair share of "feelings" in my day, but I feel like there should be at least a little less of the American self-centered sentiment with regard the oil spill. Or at least enough to keep your real feelings to yourself.

We all know where Hubris got this dude:

That's right... at the bottom of a bottomless pit.
Appreciate 0