09-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #41
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
So....I'm starting to investigate 996 Turbos. It's really (really) hard for me to get over the older style headlights, but I'm afraid I'd be a bit of a poser if I chose the round headlights over the GT1 dry-sump engine of the 996 Turbo.

The 996 GT3 is also appealing to me but it is hard to overlook the tuning potential of the Turbo.
Like Cabinetman posted above, the 997 turbo (.1 only, .2 2010's have the 9A1) has the same GT1, Mezger engine as the 996 turbos. Actually, the 997 version is even better.

As far as posing goes, that's non-sense. As much as I love the Mezger (have a .2 GT3) the 9A1 is also a marvel. Less weight ~13 lbs, iircc, less parasitic power loss due to less moving parts, while still retaining an integrated dry sump. Some people get all goofy when someone mentions "integrated". A dry sump is a dry sump, no matter where the sump is located. . As good as the Mezger is, it is an old, heavy design. It may go down as a desirable engine as years pass, but that doesn't mean that the newer tech isn't better. So far the 9A1 has proven very strong. We'll see once Porsche starts racing it. The 991 GT3/RSs will their engines based on the 9A1.

Last edited by devo; 09-28-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0