View Single Post
      04-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #136
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Was your engine replace under warranty? If it was, there is basically nothing you can do to prevent it happening again without opening up the new engine and measuring the bottom end and setting your clearances to a proper spec. This will of course void your warranty anyhow.

Your new engine may be fine and you may never have any trouble..... Only time will tell. If you want to see how the new engine is doing, take oil samples at every oil change and if there is a clearance issue, bearing material will show up on the UOA!

One thing of note to everyone, DO NOT, under any circumstances, put any excessive load on the engine until the engine oil is at operating temperature. With only about 0.001" of oil clearance and 10w60 in the crankcase, lubrication is going to be compromised until it is at operating temperature!
I try to be super careful with keeping the RPM's low when the oil is cold, especially with this car. Thanks for the insight.

I know you are probably under warranty, but may I ask how you feel about running other oil weights? Not to start an oil thread or anything, but would love to hear your opinion. Thanks.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0