View Single Post
      02-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Track-readiness checklist (esp. for beginners)

So I'm getting set to start hitting the track in my M3 and am trying to figure out all the things I need to do/buy to get ready for the track. I figured others (especially other newbies) might be in the same boat, so I thought it would be useful to have a thread dedicated to the things that are must haves and those that are recommended for the track. I figured I could update this post with a running list based on contributions from others in this thread.

So with that said, here's what I've come up with so far:

Mandatory
  1. Tow hook or strap: Is it mandatory to run with a tow hook or strap attached to your front bumper? Rear bumper? If so, will either work or do most tracks only allow straps?
  2. Helmet: I believe wearing a helmet is mandatory (not to mention a really good idea) but do most tracks have some to rent or do you have to bring your own?
  3. Something for power-steering fluid leaks: It seems that power steering fluid leaks are par for the course with the M3 and that something (be it a rag, the expander that iND/3D Design sells, or the DIY with the motorcycle brake reservoir) is a must do

Recommended
  1. Protection from paint chips: Whether it's a leather bra, a clear bra, or just good old blue masking tape, something to prevent paint chips from debris on the track.
  2. Studs: Studs are a relatively inexpensive way to make frequet wheel changes easier and improve safety at the track.
  3. Pads/fluids/brake lines: If you are going to run the stock brakes, using high-temp fluid, performance pads, and possibly stainless steel lines will help get the most out of your brakes.

What am I missing? What are your thoughts on the questions I posed?
Appreciate 0