View Single Post
      03-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

Catless x-pipe stinks badly :(

I have been running a catless & resonator-less xpipe for about a month.

First and the biggest issue that I have is the smell/emission.

Prior to installation I understand the smell will be prominent but how it is right now is beyond my tolerance level. I can live with some smells as long as it is not as bad like now. Also the carbon coming out from the rear is turning my exhaust tips yellow; I am afraid it is just a matter of time for the rear bumper becomes the same color so I am thinking about adding a set of 200 cpi cat at stock secondary location. I was told to add a set of 400 cpi cat. Which one should I go for?

Another issue is the sound, I am satisfy with the sound while cruising after the xpipe installed, but cold starting the car in my neighborhood becomes my fear. I have yet to receive any verbal complain but the car after the xpipe never fails to receive looks from them when I drive by and I am sure those looks are barely friendly...

To solve cold start issue I thought about deleting my secondary air pump to restrain the airflow, but since I am adding a set of cat it should be wise to keep the air pump for cats to work properly?

If only I can find a solution that reduces the smell completely while only kills the cold start noise but still retaining the sound while driving. But I know there is trade offs.

As for now I am leaning more towards adding a set of 200 cpi cats and see how it goes for smell and cold start sound. Any advice is welcomed
Appreciate 0