08-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
[QUOTE=radiantm3;14563103]

Overflowing Brake Fluid when Changing Pads

A few months ago I put on brand new pads which meant the calipers had to be opened up quite a bit to fit back on the rotors. I didn't bother checking the level of my brake fluid in the reservoir and it ended up overflowing. I wiped it clean and thought everything was fine, but about a month later, my car started going into limp mode because the brake fluid fried a sensor.

QUOTE]

common mistake home mechanics make all the time. you top off the brake fluid as it drops when the pads wear and then put new pads in and overflow it. it is an issue on pretty much all cars. i typically use a turkey baster to remove some before and as i do each caliper to avoid that. the only exception i have seen was a 2007 acura TL type-s with front brembos. the FSM said I had to open the bleeder to let the fluid out when i pushed the pistons back, because pushing fluid backward was not good for their ABS system. odd, but I followed the manual.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0