04-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #57
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
As mentioned above, it is not a DCT. Have you driven one? It is dull compared to a DCT. Doesn't even feel close. Feels like a sporty automatic. I owned a C4S with PDK and even though its a DCT, it was dull compared to the M3's transmission. Better than the MCT though.

Yes, I had a short drive in a C63 BS with minor upgrades - nothing Weistec level though. It definitely felt better than a C63 but the transmission still killed it for me. How fast the transmission shifts doesn't make a big difference in enjoyment at this level. The PDK is extremely quick but not fun (now changed for the GT3 I believe). Also, if I recall correctly, the difference even between the M3 DCT and the ZF auto in a 335 is tiny in terms of shift times. Much more to it...

From some of the things JRCart has mentioned compared to his "1000hp CLK BS" he is probably around the ~800 range especially at this event. Makes sense compared to how he did against other cars. I remember a dyno but maybe I'm getting things mixed up.

The stock M3 DCT seems to be near its limit with these higher builds like Drew's car. Of course you can push out more if you start changing things...just as you can with any car. The lack of a DCT in the AMG helps it here. Competing with that Weistec is very unlikely without some serious work done to the M3
My brother owns a 2013 C63 Black Series, so I have taken it out plenty of times. I beg to differ on the topic of the transmission, but everybody has their own opinions so I'll leave it at that.

Are you referring to 800 crank or wheel? I'm pretty sure high 600/low700 wheel is around where his car is.
Appreciate 0